Subject: RE: [docbook] namespace markup

An XML namespace is not an URI; rather it is is *identified* by an URI reference. To be more precise, a subset of URI references with semantics that differ from URI references in general.

The empty string is an URI reference, but the empty string cannot be used as an XML namespace name. Relative URI references are deprecated as XML namespace names. XML namespace names are compared by string equality, i.e. not the way URI references are resolved. [1]

In short: an XML namespace name looks a lot like an URI, and an XML namespace declaration look a lot like assigning a value to an attribute. But you cannot really infer much about the semantics of XML namespaces from that. An XML namespace name is not a type of URI.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names

Kind regards
Peter Ring