Subject: How to decrease font in the code examples

Hello to everyone,

I am trying to decrease the font size of the examples.

    <para>
      <example>
        <title>My First Example</title>
        <programlisting>
        <![CDATA[
          <root>
             <child id="123"/>
          </root>
       ]]>
      </programlisting>
      </example>
    </para>

Is there a way to specify it somewhere? The problem is, I have a big xml
document,  that actually occupies the hole page.
Therefore I want to decrease the font of the example.

Thanks for any help

Markus