Subject: RE: [docbook] Rename firstname and surname?

OTOH, 'familyname' is culturally biased to the extent that we infer anything about the names of a person's relatives. Personal names are inherently bound to various cultural contexts.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_name

My problem with 'surname' is that it suggest a certain sequential ordering.

Personal names are not created equal, and usage changes with time, culture and purpose. In general, one should expect each person to have several names that must be presented in various ways, depending on context.

In DocBook, personal names are generally used to convey that someone has contributed in some way to the current document. E.g., in the proceedings of a learned society, you'll want to be able to display a lot of details wrt. professional titles and affilations *at the time of contribution*. When the proceedings are eventually published, names, titles and affiliations of the person may have changed completely.

Under other circumstances, it might be more appropriate to record the the sha1sum of the URI of an Internet mailbox for which the person was the first owner. Or some other web-friendly persistent identifier.

When I recently investigated vocabularies for personal names for a specific project, I drifted towards new VCard ontology,

  http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns.

There is a cross-walk between VCard and a few other vocabularies here:

  http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin/homepage/notes/vcardtable.html

kind regards
Peter Ring