Subject: Re: [docbook] Rename firstname and surname?

Am Freitag, den 10.08.2007, 10:12 +0900 schrieb Michael(tm) Smith:

[..]
> To me, "surname" seems to have the possible advantage over
> familyname of not implying anything at all culturally about the
> name it is used to mark up other than that it is an additional
> name.

I agree. Also "family name" can have different meanings. Sometimes it's
used for the current surname and sometimes it's used for the (sur)name
at birth, which is not always equal to the current surname (at least in
Germany). I'm nit completely sure, but IMHO "surname" doesn't have these
different meanings. Am I wrong?

Regards, Daniel