Subject: Re: [docbook] Spanning entries in a <table>

"Stuart J. Browne" <sjbrowne@bluebottle.com>, 2007-09-04 10:36 +1000:

> The <entry> tag has the ability to span rows (<entry morerows='xx'>), but
> from what I can see it can't spam columns (like HTML's <td colspan='xx'>).
>
> Is it possible and I'm just not seeing the attribute in the online tag
> reference?

First off, note that current versions of DocBook support use of
HTML tables (not just CALS tables). So you if use an HTML table
within your source, the DocBook stylesheets will process it as
expected.

But if you prefer to use CALS table markup, take a look at the
following example:

  http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/table.html#d0e201309

To markup up cells that span columns, you need to use the colspec
element and the attributes namest and nameend on the entry itself:

   <entry namest="c1" nameend="c2" align="center">Horizontal Span</entry>

But if you're already familiar with HTML table markup, you're
probably better off just using that. There are no real advantages
to using CALS table markup.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith