Subject: Re: [docbook] keycap vs keysym

Quoting Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk>:

> Emacs is very heavy on key bindings.
> M-C-F1  is press ALT, control and F1.
>
> How might that be marked up?
> M-x revert-buffer is another command.
>
> It seems a mix between user input and key|sym|cap
> There is no 'M' key (stands for META).

The Emacs meta key is especially weird as it depends on the keyboard
and your environment. E.g. on a PC running a graphical interface, the
Alt key works ok if you press it simultaneously with another key. When
running in a terminal, Alt may not work, and you have to resort to
pressing the Esc key as a prefix key, followed by the next key. The
former might be represented as:

whereas the latter would be something like:

So even if you would move away from the key caps to not depend on what
is printed on the key, you'd still be wrong about pressing the keys at
the same time or one after the other in 50% of the cases. But I also
think if you're writing about Emacs for end users, the key caps are
what counts.

regards,
Markus

--