Subject: Getting started: editors, direct rendering, which DTD?

Hi.

I'm looking to learn some more about DocBook.  I've done some reading at the
main site and followed up some of the links and am at the stage where I'm
getting more confused rather than less: I believe a lot of the information I'm
reading may be somewhat out of date.

I'm looking to author small technical documents, on a Windows platform: Am I
right in thinking XmlMind seems to be the editor of choice for this, even
though its Personal Edition is not free for commercial use? Are there any
alternatives I should be seriously considering?

My strong preference is to be able to render DocBook file directly in an up to
date IE browser, rather than build and upload to a website.  Is this a
feasible objective for small documents?  Should I be looking at the Simplified
DTD to do this rather than v4 or v5?  If so, can you suggest suitable XSL
transforms and CSS style sheets that would get me up to speed quickly?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

ian

Ian S Worthington

http://isw.me.uk/

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, sed dulcius pro patria vivere, et
dulcissimus pro patria biber. Ergo, bibiamo pro salute patriae.