Subject: Re: [docbook] Getting started: editors, direct rendering, whichDTD?

Ian S. Worthington wrote:

> Any guidance would be much appreciated.

I'm relatively new to DocBook but I've managed to produce some documents
(HTML/PDF) with images.

This book was of great help to me:
http://www.sagehill.net/book-description.html
http://www.sagehill.net/book-description.html .  I couldn't say enough good
words about it as a reference.

In my environment, it was important to have a single package for
installation. I found that the Velocity framework has a DocBook component
http://velocity.apache.org/docbook/ http://velocity.apache.org/docbook/  and
I started using it.  Twiking it to use 0.94 FOP and various docbook-xsl
files was trivial.

I prefer the command line for my document generations (that way I can
include it with my builds).  Velocity fits this nicely with its Ant
controlled build.

As for editors, I prefer simple text editors when dealing with markup
languages.  I experimented with XmlMind but found it (personally) difficult
to use.  It was a fine product but I found it easier to work lower in the
weeds.

-Fred