Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook RNG Schema vs DTD + L10N

Jirka,

> Please note that you can use your current approach also with RELAX NG
> schema. Your confusion comes from fact that DTD has two functions -- it
> can define schema and it can define entities. So you can use DTD only
> for entity definitions and at the same time use RELAX NG for validation.
>
> However I think that you will not make mistake if you replace your
> complex entity management with XIncludes and profiling to achieve the
> same effect.

I agree, but I need a mechanism to select the legal notice in the right
natural language depending on the value of attribute "lang" in start
element <article>;

<article id="CSharpCodingGuidelines" lang="en-US">
    <articleinfo>
        <title>C# Coding Guidelines</title>
        <legalnotice><xi:include href="legalnotice.xml"/></legalnotice>
    </articleinfo>
</article>

In the example above, legalnotice.xml should just select file
en-US/legalnotice.xml (because of lang="en-US"); if I specify lang="de-DE",
then legalnotice.xml should select de-DE/legalnotice.xml, and so on.

On the server I have a structure like this:

legalnotice.xml
      + en-US
      |   + legalnotice.xml
      + de-DE
      |   + legalnotice.xml

The top-level legalnotice.xml shouldn't contain any text at all; it
should just select the right localized file (again, depending on lang="...").

That's it,
j3d.

> --
>   Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz
>        Professional XML consulting and training services
>   DocBook customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing
>  OASIS DocBook TC member, W3C Invited Expert, ISO JTC1/SC34 member

Giuseppe Greco

Agamura Entertainments, Inc.
6928 Manno
Switzerland