Subject: Re: [docbook] Schema Location

Hi Giuseppe,

Am Samstag, 27. Oktober 2007 12:59:04 schrieb Giuseppe Greco:

> With DocBook 4.x I used a preamble like this
>
> ?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.5//EN"
>      "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd";>
> <article lang="en">
> </article>
>
> ... while with DocBook 5.x I should use something like this
>
> <article
>      xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; version="5.0"
>      xml:lang="en">
> </article>
>
> In the first XML snippet
> "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd"; is the real
> physical location of the DocBook DTD and all the stuff works fine.
>
> With DocBook 5.x things change... is there a way to associate
> "http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; with the physical location of the
> DocBook schema in a tool-independent way (as with DocBook DTD)?

I am not 100% sure but from what I've read there is no need for such a
mechanism. In [2] there is an explanation why there is no similar method
in RELAX NG:

 »In fact, RELAX NG does not define any mechanism for associating a
 document with a RELAX NG schema. Although it is useful to be able to
 specify rules for determining the schema to be used to validate a
 particular document, this problem is not specific to RELAX NG.
    Validation is just one of many processes that can be applied to
 an XML document. For example, a user may wish to perform XInclude
 processing or XSLT processing. A user may wish to perform validation
 before or after any of these other processes. The problem of
 associating a schema with a document is really just a special case
 of the problem of associating processing with a document. What is
 needed is a solution that can specify a series of processes to be
 applied to a document.«

Applied to DocBook, it's more a problem of how you call your favorite
validation tool. The Transition Guide[2] just gives an example how to
run the msv validator:

  java -Xss512K -jar /path/to/relames.jar \
       /path/to/docbook.rng \
       document.xml

Hope that answers your question. :)

Best wishes,