Subject: Re: [docbook] invalid characters for ISO-8859-1 response

Anthony Ettinger wrote:
> I would rather not have special characters in my source -- opening the
> file with vi renders strange things.
>
> If it has to be a space, then it should be a literal space (in my
> opinion) -- why a reference to a utf-8 character that is then
> converted on the fly w/ xsl to the rendered space?

Your definition of 'strange things' is possibly the visual
presentation of a Unicode code point mapped via an available
character set in your editor of choice.

If you work it through from initial character generation
to glyph presentation, it is likely to be what you want...
hidden by the mysteries of non-ASCII characters.
That's why Unicode makes so much sense IMHO.
It removes the magic and ensures commonality
end to end.

Check it out!

HTH

--