Subject: Re: [docbook] On family/given/first/last names

Out of interest, what do people use the firstname/surname/lastname/
givenname distinction for?  In Docbook, its main use is clearly to
identify document authors visually on the page.  The only other
application I could see is if you wanted to produce a sorted list of
authors, but quite why you'd want to do that, I'm unsure.  Given the
variation in naming schemes internationally, I'd be very unlikely to
perform any sort of search restricted to givenname or familyname, so
what else could it be used for?

Perhaps the correct distinction is to list name components in
printing-order, with semantic markup to identify the sort order?
Under this mechanism:

<person>
   <name sortIndex="2">Geraint</name>
   <name sortIndex="1">North</name>
</person>

...would indicate that, when sorted, I should be sorted first by
"North" and then by "Geraint".

Geraint North
Principal Engineer
Transitive