Subject: Re: [docbook] On family/given/first/last names

doug writes:
 > I always thought bibtex was the defacto standard for bibliography
 > ordering and formatting with its First von Last Jr.  splitting
 > - as described e.g. point 18 here:
 >    http://newton.ex.ac.uk/tex/pack/bibtex/btxdoc/node8.html
 >
 > My guess was that most journals accepted latex style manuscripts with
 > bibtex bibliographies and just applied a journal specific
 > style. I would expect some standard DocBook markup to
 > reflect that, just for consistency as an interchange format
 > and for standardizing bibliography formatting and ordering styles.

I guess this depends on your field of research. Most journals in life
sciences expect word processor documents, whereas journals dealing
with physics and chemistry appear to be at least open to LaTeX. The
"positional markup" used by bibtex to specify the name parts appears
to be equivalent (albeit more obscure) to what you can do with the
DocBook elements. Both of these systems fail to work well with the
odd cases like multiple firstnames (in contrast to a firstname and a
middlename) if it comes to abbreviate only one of these.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka