Subject: Re: [docbook] On family/given/first/last names

-On [20071218 14:35], Markus Hoenicka (markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de) wrote:
>To add another twist: If the Dutch "van Halen" family migrates to the US
>and rears two sons who are fairly proficient in the hard rock business,
>they turn into "Van Halen"s that I'd expect to find sorted under "V". Also,
>isn't the scientist Paul M. Vanhoutte likely to stem from some "van Houtte"
>family? Apparently the interpretation of the name parts depends on the
>cultural context, no matter what the name originally meant to be.

Oh absolutely Markus.

Whenever I read US papers or watch series or movies that introduces an author
or a character called 'Van Buren' or such I just have to assume there's a
Dutch heritage somewhere.

Then again, my Flemish neighbours use different rules for the 'tussenvoegsels'
such as 'van', 'de' and so on.

Lets leave aside transliterated names such as:

Khaled al-Falid ibn Muhammed ibn al-Zawariyya
Munesh Bhagwansingh

which are prime examples of names where there's no single transliteration
scheme.

So are you sure this is the author you're looking for? ;)

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
In every stone sleeps a crystal...