Subject: [docbook] Simply viewing DB

rob writes:
 > I came across a piece of free software documentation (and glad to
 > find any documentation at all besides source code!) that from the
 > file extension is SGML and from content of the first line is
 > apparently a DocBook document.  I tended to go cross-eyed, however,
 > when I tried to (human-) read the d___ thing.  Firefox shows a giant,
 > undifferentiated and still partially marked-up blob of text.

It's probably a bit harsh to judge DocBook by the SGML sources of some
document. This is like evaluating your favourite ego-shooter's next
release by peeking at the source code. You wouldn't be impressed
either!

DocBook is a markup language which is supposed to be transformed to
human-readable formats like PDF or HTML. Self-respecting
software projects that write their documentation as DocBook documents
always provide them in human-readable format.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka