Subject: Re: [docbook] Simply viewing DB

I would suggest submitting the document to one of the online DocBook
formatting engines.  One is from RenderX:

http://www.renderx.com/demos/docbook.html

There are others that don't add the watermark to the PDF page, but I can't
remember them offhand.  Perhaps others on the mailing list could offer
suggestions.  These engines apply the stock DocBook XSL stylesheets to an
uploaded file and return the results.

The PDF and RTF formats that you mention contain complete formatting
information for rendering the content.  An XML file contains no formatting
information, so that is why a document viewer is a non-trivial thing.  The
formatting information has to come from a stylesheet.  Many browsers can
apply a stylesheet to an XML file to format it.  But if your document
doesn't reference a stylesheet, then the browser doesn't know where to get
one by default.

A document can contain a reference to a stylesheet using a processing
instruction as follows:

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl"
href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/docbook.xsl";?>

If you put this line in your document (assuming it is XML and not SGML) and
open it in Internet Explorer 6 or later (or other recent browsers), then IE
will download the stylesheet and format it for you (HTML format in this
case).  The online access to the stylesheet is slow, because the Docbook
stylesheets contain many files that must be downloaded and opened, but it
will work.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net