Subject: Re: [docbook] RE: [docbook-apps] db 5 and Dita anyone?

Hello -

Specialization
==========
The value of specialization, really is  a way to develop more
semantic compact xml structure based on your doc needs.. The way DITA
does specialization is by putting all elements in the base DTD and
the specialization is allowing you to choose a subset of those
elements in your DTD .. (They do allow renaming of elements which
makes it appear that you can extend the base DTD set, but it really
isn't..)

The specialization feature is an impressive new concept in that your
stylesheets are not based on the element names but off the base
classes (much like in object oriented coding).. The stylesheet coding
to support this is very messy from my perspective to maintain though.
I believe that the docbook customization layer in stylesheets is a
better approach.. NOTE: There are 2 competing thoughts in the DITA
world on whether specialization is a good thing or not.. Some of them
strongly advocate that specialization should be discouraged and is
not DITA if you do that..

The one business need that DITA is trying to solve with
specialization - based on all my discussions with the DITA experts -
is that it allows you to share/distribute your xml content files
without having to distribute the stylesheets.. The base stylesheets
would be installed on every computer and because your specialzed
document is a subset of the base DITA dtd, you are guaranteed at
least a default rendering of the document.. I personally, don't
believe that most people have that business need to distribute xml
without xsl and thus believe that DocBook should resist it in favor
of the customization layer!!

Conrefs
======

Regarding conrefs - the benefit I see is that it allows you to reuse
chunks/topics of content but still give you flexibility to change
certain text within.. For e.g. if an installation procedure is the
same for 2 routers, then you could use conref to change the router
name in that topic.. This is like a TE (text entitiy) feature that
was present in the DTDs and thus I'm in favor of supporting it.
Ideally, the support of conref should really be a xml spec rather
than a docbook or dita spec..

On the flip side, conrefs do introduce an extra processing step in
publishing - which is not desirable/feasible in dynamic publishing
systems where you want to dynamically organize a bunch of topics and
generate a book/topic collection out of it without having to set
conref files..

Regards.
--
Rajal