Subject: Re: [docbook] XInlcude not working

Hi Eric,

On Dienstag, 1. Juli 2008, Johnson, Eric wrote:
> I am trying to move from Docbook 4 to Docbook 5, but am having trouble
> getting my xincludes to work...
>
> I've got
>
> <xi:include href="../common/mvnappx.xml" xpointer="ESBMavenAppxP1"/>
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm not sure if this is correct. That looks odd to me.

> It will not resolve using Saxon.

I don't think Saxon supports XPointer directly. Maybe you have to use
Xerces as an underlying XML parser.

> [...]
> The error I get is
>
> [java] org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Include operation failed,
> reverting to fallback. Resource error reading file as XML
> (href='../common/mvnappx.xml'). Reason
>
> : XPointer resolution unsuccessful.
>
> [...]
>
> What am I missing?

It's just a guess, but I've read somewhere you have to use an additional
xpointer() and id() keyword:

 <xi:include href="../common/mvnappx.xml"
             xpointer="xpointer(id(ESBMavenAppxP1))"/>

If I remember correctly, I used this notation with xmllint. If Saxon or
any of your tools doesn't like XPointers, you can still use xmllint and
resolve it with this tool. After you've created a single file you can
apply your additional steps.

There is also a very useful section in Bobs book, see
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/DuplicateIDs.html

Note: XPointer consists of several specifications and not all are a
recommendation. Depending on your tool, not everything may be implemented
yet.

Maybe this helps,
Tom

--