Subject: Re: [docbook] How to force a linebreak inside a <command> tag?

Cameron Kerr wrote:
> <command> is expected to be formatted inline; shouldn't you use a
> pre-formatted environment such as a <programlisting> or a <screen>?
> Here is what I have used, which is rendered to HTML and PDF (via a
> custom stylesheet to TeXML and XeTeX)
>
> <programlisting>Feb 10 18:32:22 <replaceable>hostname</replaceable>
> sshd[<replaceable>pid</replaceable>]: Accepted publickey for
> <replaceable>username</replaceable> from <keycap>↩</keycap>
> <replaceable>source-ip</replaceable> port
> <replaceable>source-port</replaceable> ssh2</programlisting>
>
> In case you can't see it, the thing inside the <keycap> is a LEFTWARDS
> ARROW WITH HOOK, or U+21A9. I've misappropriated <keycap> here because
> the font I use for <keycap> has all the symbols I need (XeTeX doesn't
> have a fall-back font selection mechanism... grrr)
>
> On 1/07/2008, at 2:27 PM, David O'Brien wrote:
>> Does anyone know if this is possible, and how to do it?
>> I'm writing computer software doc and some of the commands are quite
>> long (> length of 1 line) and I'd like to use a backslash and
>> continue the command on the next line.
>>
>> Failing that, can anyone recommend an alternative approach? This
>> would also be useful when I want to list several consecutive
>> commands, but don't want to break them up with <para> tags.
>>
>> cheers
>
> --Cameron Kerr <ckerr@cs.otago.ac.nz>
> Teaching Fellow, Computer Science, University of Otago
> NOTE: I only check my e-mail at 11am each day, to improve time
> management.

I guess this falls under the "alternative approach" heading, which I'm
quite happy to go with. It's only over relatively recent times that
we've moved into docbook and what could be called complete markup (vs.
just tagging the major components), so we're bound to run into a few of
these questions along the way.

Thanks for your help.

--

David O'Brien
IPA Content Author

"We couldn't care less about comfort. We make you feel good."
Federico Minoli CEO Ducati Motor S.p.A.