Subject: Re: [docbook-comment] internationalisation after 17 years

/ Michiel Kamermans <mkamerma@science.uva.nl> was heard to say:
| Docbook has been around for 17 years, and it's *still* not properly
| internationalised.

[This message originally appeared on the docbook-comment list[4], but
I'm moving discussion to the public list.]

Michiel,

In investigating the issues you raise, the DocBook TC discovered that
the W3C Internationalization Tag Set WG[1], part of the W3C
Internationalization Activity[2], has already addressed this problem.

They have published a DocBook+ITS schema[3] that includes Ruby plus other
internationalization features.

The TC is confident that the ITS WG has more experience with I18N
issues than we do, so we're content to accept their work. We will
endeavor to include a copy of their schema in the final release.

We hope that this satisfies your concerns. If not, please let us know.

[1] http://www.w3.org/International/its/
[2] http://www.w3.org/International/
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-xml-i18n-bp-20080213/#docbook-plus-its
[4] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-comment/200805/msg00000.html