Subject: Re: [docbook] linking beteen different documents

Hi Andreas,

On Montag, 11. August 2008, Andreas Peter wrote:

> I try to link between different documents using olink. If I include the
> olink-element I get "????". The documents are all in the same
> directory.
>
> This is the example source-file (bibliografie.xml):
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <bibliography xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; version="5.0"
> xml:id="bibliografie">
>     <title>Quellen</title>
>     <bibliomixed xml:id="bib.bilbo">
>         <bibliomset>
>             <abbrev>BILBO</abbrev>
>             <author>
>                 <personname>
>                     <surname>Beutlin</surname>
>                     <firstname>Bilbo</firstname>
>                 </personname>
>             </author>
>         </bibliomset>
>     </bibliomixed>
> </bibliography>
>

> I use the following para-element:
>
> <para>Text here... [<olink targetdoc="bibliografie.xml"
> targetptr="bib.bilbo"/>] Text...</para>
>
> The result is <para>Text here... [????] Text...
>

> Any ideas from the experts?

OLinks are a very powerful but a difficult matter to understand. I'm not
sure if olink is the appropriate element here.

From my understanding, olinks are used to link between different documents
(articles, books, references), but not necessarily between a document and
a bibliography (although you could). A bibliography is usually included
in the document anyway. So why not include your bibliography into your
document?

If you share some bib entries across other documents, maybe a bibliography
database is better suited? See [1] for more details.

Tom

[1] http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/BiblioDatabase.html

--
Thomas Schraitle