Subject: Re: [docbook] Floats in DocBook 5.0

Hi Stephen,
Well, the DocBook schema currently doesn't allow floatstyle on sidebar.  It seems that it should, but it was never added.  So the semantics still require processing instructions, as described here:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/SideFloats.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 8:33 AM
Subject: [docbook] Floats in DocBook 5.0

What are the recommended semantics for floats in V5?

I see email traffic pre-V5 about deprecating the "float" attribute in favour of "floatstyle". So, for example, where my customisation layer floats sidebars on the left by default, using the sidebar.float.type parameter, to float an individual sidebar on the right, the following?

<sidebar floatstyle="right">
  <title>Sidebar example</title>
  <para>A sidebar can be used to emphasise…</para>
</sidebar>

If the answer is Yes, I'd be grateful for suggestions as to why the above sidebar floats on the left with the others.

Best
Stephen Taylor