Subject: Re: [docbook] XPath expression for book title

Tom

Blimey. I'd forgotten XSLT processors don't validate by default. Pages of whinges resolved, and I got my title. Validity was the issue.

The winning XPath:

<xsl:value-of select="/d:book/d:info/d:title"/>

as I'd opted to make the title a child of info.

So now I'll remember to Keep It Valid. Tx

Stephen

2008/8/24 Thomas Schraitle <tom_schr@web.de>
Hi Stephen,

On Sonntag, 24. August 2008, Stephen Taylor wrote:
> Looking for an XPath expression that will give me the title of my book.
>
> I want the title element of my book reproduced in the running headers.
> In the header.content template <http://pastebin.com/m424a9b30> in my
> customisation layer I've been trying variations of
>
> <xsl:value-of select="/bookinfo/title"></xsl:value-of>
> <xsl:apply-templates select="/bookinfo/title" />
>
> but get an empty result.

First, from what I've seen, I fear your DocBook5 document is not valid.
DocBook5 does not have any bookinfo elements anymore. It is replaced with
info. As a rule of thumb, always validate your document before applying
any transformations on it. :)

Second, as you have a DocBook5 document, you have to use the respective
namespace in your stylesheets too. Declare it in your root element, for
example:

 <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
   xmlns:d="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"
 </xsl:stylesheet>

After this modification, you have to use the declared prefix on all your
DocBook5 elements:

 <xsl:apply-templates select="d:info/d:title"/>

However, a title can occur not only inside a d:info element, it can occur
directly after d:book too. Probably it is better to extend the above
expression like this (if your current context is d:book):

 <xsl:apply-templates select="(d:info/d:title|d:title)[1]"/>

This selects only one of the possible titles, either in d:info or in
d:book. If you need only the string content of a title regardless of the
elements inside, replace xsl:apply-templates with xsl:value-of.

This is just a general explanation, maybe you have to play with the
customization a bit and use other modes. See also Bob's book for more
information at http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/index.html

> The document is modular: a short master
> document<http://pastebin.com/m6e07225c>includes a series of article
> documents. Is that changing the reference of
> the document root?

I'm not sure what you mean by "changing the reference of the document
root".

> If so, then
>
> <xsl:value-of select="/artheader/title"></xsl:value-of>
>
> would yield my article titles in the headers. But that doesn't happen
> either.

Probably the same issue as above.

Hope that helps,
Tom