Subject: Help with paragraph numbering

I'm currently underway to translate a huge document. This document uses
paragraph-numbering. The numbering is on form "0:0.2" "0:0.3" etc.

I've looked over the Docbook documentation, and searched the net - but
the closes thing I find is line-numbering.

Does Docbook support paragraph numbering? I've tried with

<para id="0:0:2">

But then xmllint complains. So now I just manually type in the paragraph
number for each paragraph like this:

<para>
0:0.2 Here is the text....
</para>

Can this be solved in any other way? Any advise/hint would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks.

Regards,

Lars