Subject: Re: [docbook] marking up a play

2008/10/26 Hudson, Scott <Scott.Hudson@flatironssolutions.com>:
> There isn't a "play" element, but we've added dialogue and poetry. Take a look at those and the samples. We've converted all of Shakespeare's plays (courtesy of Jon Bosak's xml versions and a simple transform).
>
> Best regards,
>
> --Scott
 "docbook@lists.oasis-open.org" <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>

We (Penguin UK) have take a very similar approach to the publishers'
subcommittee* and have successfully marked up a lot of drama (
Shakespeare and many others) using our schema (a stripped down DocBook
5 plus mark-up for lines/speeches/dialogs and so on).

We basically use the book element for plays, part for acts and chapter
for scenes. It works well.

We have similar extensions for poetry. The only difference between our
schemas and the SC's ones would be that we have namespaced our
extensions.

Summary of vaguely random drivel: DB works pretty well for drama
mark-up with fairly just a few minor additions mostly to handle
line-orientated text.

nic

* our starting point was the SC draft element list
--
Nic Gibson
Director, Corbas Consulting