Subject: Re: [docbook] marking up a play

Nic Gibson wrote:
> 2008/10/26 Hudson, Scott <Scott.Hudson@flatironssolutions.com>:
>> There isn't a "play" element, but we've added dialogue and poetry. Take a look at those and the samples. We've converted all of Shakespeare's plays (courtesy of Jon Bosak's xml versions and a simple transform).
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> --Scott
>  "docbook@lists.oasis-open.org" <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>
>
> We (Penguin UK) have take a very similar approach to the publishers'
> subcommittee* and have successfully marked up a lot of drama (
> Shakespeare and many others) using our schema (a stripped down DocBook
> 5 plus mark-up for lines/speeches/dialogs and so on).
>
> We basically use the book element for plays, part for acts and chapter
> for scenes. It works well.
>
> We have similar extensions for poetry. The only difference between our
> schemas and the SC's ones would be that we have namespaced our
> extensions.
>
> Summary of vaguely random drivel: DB works pretty well for drama
> mark-up with fairly just a few minor additions mostly to handle
> line-orientated text.

Am I being too picky looking for a separate wrapper Nic?

I'm thinking of either an extract from drama, or a complete piece,
being 'inserted' into some other text?
Perhaps one of those 'commented' books that students get for revision?

Then I'd be looking for a book/article etc, with a lower level wrapper
for the 'drama' or whatever it's called?

Is that usage rare in the publishing world?

regards

regards

--
Dave Pawson