Subject: Re: [docbook] marking up a play

2008/10/29 Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk>:
> Nic Gibson wrote:
>
>>> How did you mark up the cast of characters?
>>
>> I was vaguely glossing over that as we have a <cast> element which
>> contains <role> elements and our experience with conversions so far
>> suggests that we have it fairly wrong so I'm currently open to
>> suggestions on how to do this well as well as rethinking our current
>> schema.
>>
>> Also, cast is not the same as the list of characters (many of our
>> texts list 'the cast of the first performance')
>

> Cast? 'Characters appearing in the play?
>
> Agreed 'the cast of the first performance' is different (though
> only by time?), but for the more general one, what markup did you
> use? Any example please?
>
> I'm thinking of a typical play script where each role
> has a name and a comment or two?

Here's the first two characters from Hamlet*:

<pbl:cast xml:id="ham0000695">

 <pbl:role xml:id="ham0000698">
  <personname>GHOST</personname>
  <personblurb xml:id="ham0000699">
   <para xml:id="ham0000700">of Hamlet, lately King of Denmark</para>
  </personblurb>
 </pbl:role>

 <pbl:role xml:id="ham0000701">
  <personname>KING</personname>
  <personblurb xml:id="ham0000702">
   <para xml:id="ham0000703">his brother, now of Denmark</para>
  </personblurb>
 </pbl:role>

</pbl:cast>

cheers

nic

* this took much longer than expected and I now need to have words
with a couple of data converters who marked up the cast list as a
table.
--
Nic Gibson
Director, Corbas Consulting