Subject: Re: [docbook] Using @condition as a surrogate @profile

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 08:58:02AM -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
> The condition attribute was designed for marking conditional text (called
> 'profiling' in DocBook parlance, but unrelated to this profile attribute), so
> if you ever need to do conditional text processing you
> might run into conflicts.

The documentation is confusing on this matter then:

    [4.0] Condition is a general-purpose effectivity attribute with no specified
    semantics. Many DocBook users observed that in order to add an effectivity
    condition that was unique to their environment required “abusing” the
    semantics of one of the existing attributes, or adding their own, making
    their customization an extension rather than a subset.

    The Condition attribute provides a standard place for application-specific
    effectivity.

    -- http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ref-elements.html#common.attributes

Is this not true? If it were true, it seems like a perfect match.

> You might instead use something like this:

I do not want to use "html-profile" or similar as this is meant to be a profile
for my DocBook document not my HTML.

Thanks,