Subject: RE: [docbook] Re: [docbook-apps] slides: how to balancepresentation and content

Most of control of specific output characteristics is done with processing instructions in DocBook.  This allows specifics for different outputs to be specified (using dbfo and dbhtml type identifiers within the processing instructions).   I guess this is part of the philosophy of trying to separate the content from the presentation.  You could add your own dbslide PIs.  This might help reduce the load on the role attribute.

Best Regards,

Larry Rowland

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Seefeld [mailto:seefeld@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:45 PM
To: W. Martin Borgert

W. Martin Borgert wrote:

> Did you use my docbookslides2s5.xsl, I posted on 2007-01-05 on
> the docbook-apps mailing list? It should be in the archives.

I will have a look, thanks.
I used a stylesheet I wrote about two years ago, and which is now part
of the docbook-xsl repository, albeit not (yet) in a package.
As time permits I'm going to improve it, if possible (I already patched
S5 quite a bit, as its use of 'innerHTML' wasn't compatible with my use
of XHTML (required to handle MathML)...

> I used role=incremental in lists, but don't think, I had support
> for overlayed images.

As I mentioned, I would be interested in improving the DB vocabulary
itself to allow support for more powerful features in the output media.
It seems the 'role' attribute isn't the right way to move forward...

Regards,
       Stefan