Subject: Re: [docbook] Bridgehead alternatives

Thanks Tom!

I will look into the <refentry> for the reference sections. But we also use bridgeheads as titles in our conceptual/usage sections.
I don't think that refentry will work in these sections.
For example:

<sect1>Using the adminstration tool </sect1>
        <para>....
        <bridgehead>Admin tool's key features</bridgehead>
                <variablelist>...
        <bridgehead>Admin tool plugins</bridghead>
                <para>...
        <bridgehead>Example</bridgehead>

Thanks again,
Kate

Thomas Schraitle <tom_schr@web.de>

02/04/2009 02:36 AM

Kate.Wringe@sybase.com, docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
Re: [docbook] Bridgehead alternatives

> Currently we use docbook 4.2 to document software. We have multiple
> bridgeheads within sect1s, sect2s, sect3s, and sect4s.
> We use the bridgeheads to add titles within a sect.

> For example: in a sect1, we use bridgeheads to divide up the text:
> STATEMENTNAME (sect1)
> Syntax (bridgehead)
> Parmeters (bridgehead)
> Remarks (bridgehead)
> See also (bridgehead)
> Examples (bridgehead)
>
> We'd like to replace the bridgeheads with a block tag (preferrably a
> floating one) that would contain a title tag followed by para tags,
> procedure tags, programlisting tags, orderedlists, etc.
> [...]
> Any suggestions?

In my opinion refentry[1] would be a good candidate. It seems your structure
is more a kind of a reference page. The refentry element allows several of
your requirements. Your structure could look like:

refentry
  refentryinfo
    title <!-- If necessary, otherwise use refmeta -->
  refnamediv
    refname
    refpurpose
  refsynopsisdiv
    <!-- Insert here your syntax notation -->
  refsect1
    title: Parameters
    <!-- Insert here your description -->
  refsect1