Subject: Always use most specific markup?

Should one always use the most specific markup available? For
example, sometimes it may be conceivable to use 'systemitem'
instead of 'filename', 'envar', or 'function'.

Sometimes, even, there is no more specific markup available than
'systemitem'. When I write a document where I am forced to use
'systemitem' in many places (since there is nothing more specific
available), it might seem unproportional to be so very specific
as 'filename', 'envar', etc. in other places, unless it is clear
that this specific markup serves a purpose.

The Simplified Docbook Project looked as if it could offer some
guidance concerning such questions, but unfortunately it seems to
be no longer maintained. It would in general be good to have more
documentation and public discussion on how to use Docbook markup
appropriately for different purposes. Maybe we can spur some
development in that direction.

PGP signature