Subject: Re: [docbook] indexterm in footnote

maxwell wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:37:04 -0700, "Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net>
> wrote:
>> I believe the statement in the documentation is saying that footnotes
>> should not contain indexterms at all.  I cannot tell you why, though.
>
> I guess that's a possible interpretation.  But the documentation for
> 'footnote' says that 'indexterm' is a possible child of footnote, and the
> documentation for 'indexterm' says that 'footnote' is a possible parent of
> 'indexterm'.  So my interpretation was that an indexterm could not appear
> inside a para which in turn appeared inside a footnote.  But like you, I'm
> not sure why.
>
> Another constraint is that 'footnote must not occur in the descendants of
> footnote'.  That makes perfect sense; you wouldn't want a footnote inside a
> para inside a footnote, any more than you would want a 'footnote' as an
> immediate parent or child of 'footnote'.  But I'm not sure why you wouldn't
> want an indexterm there.

The inconsistency comes from fact that parent/child relationships in TDG
are based only on RELAX NG grammar. However rule that indexterm can't be
descendant of footnote is expressed by additional Schematron rule. So it
is best to validate your document against RELAX NG + Schematron at the
same time.

But more to the core problem. I think that there is no reason for
disallowing indexterms in footnote. Might be it is just unintended error
or some legacy stuff. It seems that DocBook XSL stylesheets are able to
process indexterms in footnote correctly. Please file new RFE so DocBook
Technical Committee can discuss this issue and possibly allow indexterms
in footnote in next version of DocBook schema.

Go to

and the choose "Add new" (you have to be logged into SF).

Thanks,

			Jirka

OpenPGP digital signature