Subject: RE: [docbook] Why do formalparas only allow one para?

Kate,

There are actually usability reasons for the formalpara not allowing multiple paras. If I have two paras in a formalpara immediately followed by a para not associated with the two paras, how do I tell that the third para is not part of the two-para formalpara? This is also why DocBook does not allow paras to follow a section -- how do you tell the section has ended.

I understand the frustration, and have dealt with the problem in the past by using variablelists (as you described), by using lists within the para for enumeration of the content items, and by redesigning the content to use sections when appropriate, because they all provide a method for the reader to determine that I have finished the formal element. Part of designing solutions that circumvent DocBook's structure is to make sure the reader can tell what the author intended, since the reader frequently does not have access to the markup that shows the containment relationship, and the format of the output is all that the reader has available. The current render of a formalpara does not provide any indication after the para that the formalpara has ended.  If you do modify the DTD, I would recommend adding some sort of obvious marker following the last element of the formalpara to indicate it has ended.  The reason I say last element is that once you open up the question of more than one para, you also have to deal with the question of what else is legal inside the new thing you have created?  How about lists, figures, mediaobjects, and all the other block level elements?

I sympathize with the problem, since I have struggled with it in the past, but please make sure the reader can tell what the writer intended -- that has always been a goal in my development of transforms and grammars that feed them. Coming up with new designs for markup is pretty easy, making sure they can effectively communicate the author's intent is much harder since the reader does not usually have access to the markup, just a formatted page (or audio stream or whatever the markup controls -- Markup, it's not just for text anymore!).

Best Regards,

Larry Rowland

From: David Cramer [mailto:dcramer@motive.com]
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 9:51 AM
To: Kate.Wringe@sybase.com; Dave Pawson
Cc: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org; Jirka Kosek; Scott Hudson

Kate,
One option is to customize the DocBook DTD or schema. I happen to have this handy because I did this already for our version of DocBook. In this case, you'd create your own sybasebook.dtd variant of the DocBook DTD containing the following:

<!ENTITY % docbook PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.5//EN"
                          "path_to/4.5/docbookx.dtd">
%docbook;

<!ELEMENT formalpara (title, (%ndxterm.class;)*, para+ )>

The current DocBook xslts will probably render the formalparas with multiple paras just fine, however you could also have a preprocessing step that terms them back into legal DocBook formalparas before passing the doc on to the DocBook xsls.

Longer term, you could submit an RFE or look at the topic element that Scott mentioned (I'm not current on that discussion).

David