Subject: RE: [docbook] literal element db v5

Dave,

role is a valid attribute on literal and is a common
attribute.

I think the confusion is in the way it is defined in
the schema. While it is a common attribute, it is not
defined in db.common.attributes.

Instead, it is defined using a separate name for each
element (that's why you have db.literal.role.attribute).

Since role is user-defined, creating separate names for
each element lets customizers define the contents of
role independently for different elements.

So, it's a common attribute by virtue of being common,
but is defined separate from db.common.attributes so
that it can be customized.

BTW, literal is probably as close as you'll get for a
generic replacement for monospace.

Hope that helps.

Dick Hamilton
XML Press