Subject: Re: RFE 2791288: add quote to corpauthor and gui elements

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
> My current thinking is that we should treat the inlines in groups. If
> you're going to allow some elements of a group, you might just as well
> allow all the elements.
[...]
> I think the natural proposal at this point is to say that we should
> allow the publishing inlines (and trademark) into the ubiquituos
> inlnes.

At the November 2009 telcon, I took an action to produce a
customization layer that implements this proposal. Please find it
attached, along with an example document that outlines the scope of
the changes imposed by this proposal.

moreubiq.rnc

moreubiq-test.xml

Title: More ubiquitous inlines

More ubiquitous inlines

Under this proposal, all of the “publishing inlines” and trademark are added to the set of “ubiquitous inlines”. This will extend the content models of all of the following elements:

abbrev database keycap postcode
accel edition keycode productname
acronym email keysym productnumber
address emphasis label property
application envar lineage publishername
arg errorcode lineannotation refmiscinfo
artpagenums errorname literal releaseinfo
attribution errortext manvolnum remark
authorinitials errortype markup returnvalue
bibliocoverage exceptionname mathphrase revnumber
biblioid fax methodname revremark
bibliomisc filename modifier seriesvolnums
bibliomset firstname mousebutton shortaffil
bibliorelation funcdef msgaud state
bibliosource funcparams msglevel street
citebiblioid function msgorig subscript
city givenname option superscript
classname guibutton optional surname
code guiicon orgname symbol
command guilabel otheraddr tag
confdates guimenu othername token
confnum guimenuitem package trademark
confsponsor guisubmenu pagenums type
conftitle hardware paramdef uri
constant holder parameter varname
contractnum honorific personname volumenum
contractsponsor interfacename phone wordasword
contrib issuenum phrase year
country jobtitle pob

In addition to inlinemediaobject, remark, subscript, superscript, the linking inlines, and alt, these elements would now also allow abbrev, acronym, trademark, date, emphasis, footnote and footnoteref, foreignphrase, phrase, quote, wordasword, firstterm, glossterm, and coref.

In the particular case of emphasis, foreignphrase, phrase, quote, firstterm, and glossterm only a limited form of each element would be allowed. A quote, for example, in this context would also have a content model limited to the new definition of “ubiquitious inlines”.

The new schema will allow things like: An application and filename.xml.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | A compromise is the art of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | dividing a cake in such a way that
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | everyone believes he has the
                                   | biggest piece.--Ludwig Erhard

PGP signature