Subject: DocBook and Google Summer of Code ?

All,

Google is sponsoring each year many organizations to allow students to
contribute to free software projects over the summer. This is known as
the "Google Summer of Code".
Such organizations would apply to become a "mentoring organization",
sometime in early March. Being a mentoring organization means to provide
project ideas, as well as mentors who would help the student(s) over the
summer keep in touch with the community, as well as make progress on the
project.

I have been a mentor for different projects and mentoring organizations
in the past (notably, the Python Software Foundation and Boost.org), and
I know firsthand what a great way to help advance a project this is, as
well as allow students to get involved with Free Software.

I have been wondering whether there was any interest in the DocBook
community to apply to become a GSoC mentoring organization, too. I can
see many projects that are doable in such a context (I have a couple of
specific ideas that I would very much like to see realized, and I think
GSoC would be an ideal framework for this).

Before diving into such details, I'd just like to ask for feedback about
the general idea. What do you think ?

(For details about the program, see
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/faqs)

Thanks,