Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook - a success story?

Hi Dave,

> So the ones you wrote were a mix of success and failure. You couldn't find free ones for the arbitrary list of formats you want.

Quite right. Have not looked into commercial ones. Perhaps I should.
My perception on the other hand is that, that DocBook/XSLT/FO as it is
now should be easy enough to allow for non-commercial solutions (which
don't need to be perfect). I can't see this happen (PDF generation
appears to be the exception).

> Summary, docbook is a failure?

Hmm, "failure" is a much too harsh word. Do you consider it a success
story then? And why? What do we have now which we didn't have before?

> It sounds to me as if that's the route you should take. I'm sure
> there are people on this list who could help you.

Well, I just used DocBook for my CV cause I believe that a CV is a
good proof of concept example (has picture, tables, is rather short
and needs some individual touch). The formats I need (PDF, MS Word and
perhaps plain text) can be maintained manually if needed. I would be
rather good to know that a route from DB to MS Word exists (Does it
exist?)

> So despite using this open source software, you won't share your software?

But I am sharing my software (http://workbench.haefelinger.it). It's
just not in a suitable state to be shard.. I'm working on it.