Subject: Re: WELCOME to docbook@lists.oasis-open.org

quoting <http://www.ibiblio.org/godoy/sgml/docbook/howto/writing-docbook.html>:

"a. The text can be enphasized in a few ways. The most common ways are
italics and bold. DocBook, however, supports only italics. The use of
bold requires additional settings on the stylesheet used."

If DocBook supports italics, how do I do it?  Certainly I can do
<phrase role="italic">...</phrase>, but the above seems to be implying
that that's not necessary?