Subject: Re: [docbook] Using custom tags

Recently there was another thread where one user was posting about
problems when trying to generate Java from DocBook's XML schema, which
is the given approach for using JAXB. (Coding all of the Java classes
by hand and adding JAXB annotations is an alternative, but not for
DocBook. JAXB RelaxNG support is "experimental", and IIRC it didn't
work for that other poster either.)

I experimented a little with the DocBook schema and tried to work
around or eliminate the hitches. I don't think it can be done without
changing the DocBook XML schema. I guess that the XML schema has been
derived from the RelaxNG schema, and two or three of the problems
result from a conversion that does not produce the best (from a JAXB
point of view) XML Schema equivalent, and there are some name clashes
(due to historic reasons, as s.o. kindly explained to me.)

What has been posted about "filling in the custom tags" is a bit
vague. If <address> is the only tag to be handled, it might be
possible to use a hand written, annotated set of Java classes.
Generate DocBook XML from that, and use XSLT to merge the documents.

-W