Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: DocBook Publishers DTD

Hi Norm,

You may find interesting Tim Bray's comment [1] on that in his annotated
XML spec [2]:

[1] http://www.xml.com/axml/notes/Determinism.html
***
Deterministic Grammars

This stuff is not worth worrying about. This rule was inherited from
SGML; its inclusion in SGML was actually a design error. This was
retained in XML not only for compatibility with SGML (not quite a good
enough reason; I voted against it) but because some of the most popular
existing SGML tools actually rely on it for certain internal optimizations.

It's likely that quite a few XML products will never bother checking for
violations of this rule, because it's hard; if you're writing a DTD and
you get a complaint about a nondeterministic content model, then you
might find it worthwhile to read the appendix.
***

[2] http://www.xml.com/axml/target.html#determinism

Best Regards,
George