Subject: RE: Appendix structure

maxwell [mailto:maxwell@umiacs.umd.edu] wrote:

> The only difference is the <remark> element.  Since <remark>s are more or
> less comments, it seems odd that they would make a difference in the
> validity of the document.  As I'm reading the schema (actually, the verbal
> description at http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/appendix.html), the
> <refhistory>, or any of a number of otherwise optional elements; or by a
> <section>, <simplesect>, or <sect1>.  Since I *don't* want any of the
> section-type elements (I really want the appendix to *just* contain a
> glossary), I'm instead using <remark>, which has no effect in my final
> (PDF) output.

I think that the intent is to treat <glossary> as a section-level element. Instead of:

<appendix version="5.0" xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";>
    <title>Glossary of Linguistic Terms</title>
  <glossary>
    <title/>
    <glossentry xml:id="glInfix">
    </glossentry>
  </glossary>
</appendix>

I would expect to see this:

<glossary version="5.0" xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";>
    <title>Glossary of Linguistic Terms</title>
    <glossentry xml:id="glInfix">
    </glossentry>
</glossary>

*************************
Rob Cavicchio
Principal Technical Writer
EMC Captiva
EMC Corporation
10145 Pacific Heights Boulevard, 6th Floor
San Diego, CA 92121-4234

P: (858) 320-1208
F: (858) 320-1010
E: cavicchio_rob@emc.com

The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions. Content published here is not read or approved in advance by EMC and does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EMC.