Subject: Re: [docbook] HOW TO: format formula in docbook 5

Hi,

> However, I was told that the formula can be expressed with docbook xml elements
> without using any MathML tags

That statement is not correct.  DocBook has only an element named <mathphrase> which
can contain any mix of:

#PCDATA|inlinemediaobject|remark|superscript|subscript|xref|link|olink|anchor|biblioref|alt|
annotation|indexterm|phrase|replaceable|emphasis

So you could use it for very simple math text such as:

   E = mc<superscript>2</superscript>

While DocBook does not have any means of expressing more complex mathematics, it can
work with MathML.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

However, I was told that the formula can be expressed with docbook xml elements
without using any MathML tags. I've tried all ways I can think of, but no good. Could
you help me with this?

Best Regards!

David Gao