Subject: RE: [docbook] Newbie Mark Up Complaints

DocBook:

Doing the things you are asking "directly in DocBook" is not really
possible.

Your questions are mainly about formatting and presentation, which is what
stylesheets are for. DocBook markup is about capturing structure and
content. You can add various "hooks" to the markup (such as signalling a
particular language) that can be used by stylesheets, but DocBook itself is
designed to be as neutral as possible regarding styling and formatting.

|  1. Insert a chunk of text in another language that requires another font.

The obvious way to indicate that a portion of text is written in a
particular language is to use the xml:lang attribute. For example:

 <para xml:lang="de">Guten Tag!</para>

You still need extra stylesheet code to render this chunk of text as you
want it, of course.

|  2. Have a "listing" element  similar to "example" or "figure" that
|  results in a TOC list entry (Table of Listings).  E.g., see
|  Listing 3.

DocBook has a <programlisting> element. If you, for example, wanted
references to every <programlisting> to be included in a "table of listings"
in the rendered output then that is entirely possible; it is a stylesheet
customization issue.

|  3. Be able to indent the first line of a specific paragraph.
|
|  4. Have the first line of a series of paragraphs in a section not
|  indented but the rest indented.

(Assuming this is for print/PDF via FO)
Take a look at the FO properties text-indent and start-indent:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/sliceE.html#section-N85866-Proper
ty-Index

See also:
http://www.stylusstudio.com/xsllist/200307/post90780.html

DocBook example:
http://www.mail-archive.com/docbook@lists.oasis-open.org/msg04957.html

|  5. Be able to insert almost any arbitrary chunk of fo at the block level.

You appear to say that you want to insert FO markup into DocBook documents.
But is that really what you want to do?

Mauritz