Subject: Re: [docbook] Newbie Mark Up Complaints

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 09:50, Mauritz Jeanson <mj@johanneberg.com> wrote:
> [...]

I know, that's my complaint.  The current situation reminds me of how
the original LaTeX was--locked into Leslie Lamport's idea of the
proper style.  Eventually, LaTeX became easier to do local, one-off
style changes.  That's what I believe DB should be marching toward.
And I'm not the only one.  See this page on the DB Wiki (especially
the "Usability" section):

  http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/WhatIsWrongWithDocBook

> |  1. Insert a chunk of text in another language that requires another font.
> The obvious way to indicate that a portion of text is written in a
> particular language is to use the xml:lang attribute. For example:
>
>  <para xml:lang="de">Guten Tag!</para>

Thanks, I think that might be easy to customize.

> DocBook has a <programlisting> element. If you, for example, wanted
> references to every <programlisting> to be included in a "table of listings"
> in the rendered output then that is entirely possible; it is a stylesheet
> customization issue.

Okay.

> |  3. Be able to indent the first line of a specific paragraph.
> |
> |  4. Have the first line of a series of paragraphs in a section not
> |  indented but the rest indented.

This is where being able to add an fo "directive" inside DB would be very handy.

> |  5. Be able to insert almost any arbitrary chunk of fo at the block level.

> You appear to say that you want to insert FO markup into DocBook documents.
> But is that really what you want to do?

Yes!

Thanks, Mauritz.

-Tom