Subject: Re: [docbook] RE: Sections and topics

Cramer, David W (David) wrote:

> I'd been bugging XMetaL to add support for xinclude for a long time.
> About the time I learned that XMetaL 6 would have support for
> xincludes, I also learned that you guys were considering a new
> transclusion mechanism.

Interesting to know that XMetaL is not dead completely.

> To some degree, <ref> is really a variant of <xi:include> with
> extensions related to id handling and a simplified means of
> referencing the target resource, so perhaps editor support can be
> achieved by extending their xinclude support.

Yep, what is called external reference in my proposal could be achieved
by using XInclude with additional attributes. But there are several
problems with this approach:

1) It will not be unified with "inline references" (sort of replacement
for internal text entitites)

2) More and more tools have out-of-the box support for XInclude -- this
means that XInclude will be resolved before any custom code can handle
transclusion using additional attributes present on xi:include. So
relying on XInclude can introduce more problems at the end.

3) XInclude always perform "Language Fixup" which is especially for
non-English content real pain. You have to add explicit xml:lang to each
small piece of content you are going to XInclude.

Actually I would prefer if we can stick to already existing and
standardized technologies. But more I think about transclusions I'm more
convinced that brand new unencumbered technology is needed.

				Jirka

OpenPGP digital signature