Subject: RE: [docbook] RE: Sections and topics

Jirka Kosek [mailto:jirka@kosek.cz] wrote:

> Interesting to know that XMetaL is not dead completely.

Interesting comment. I wasn't aware that it has been losing traction.

> Yep, what is called external reference in my proposal could be achieved
> by using XInclude with additional attributes. But there are several
> problems with this approach:
>
> 1) It will not be unified with "inline references" (sort of replacement
> for internal text entitites)

I read your proposal for this with great interest, because it is uncannily similar to a custom system I've set up for internal use in my organization. I've hijacked the <termdef> element to do almost exactly what you're doing with <definitions>, right down to the conditional selection feature. So, um...yeah, I like it.  :)

> 3) XInclude always perform "Language Fixup" which is especially for
> non-English content real pain. You have to add explicit xml:lang to each
> small piece of content you are going to XInclude.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, I haven't seen these types of inheritance problems with XIncludes, at least not with Arbortext Editor and our custom transform. But we're still on DocBook 4.5 and using the DocBook-specific "lang" attribute rather than "xml:lang", so maybe I just haven't run into it.

*************************
Rob Cavicchio
Principal Technical Writer & Information Architect
EMC Captiva
Information Intelligence Group
EMC Corporation
3721 Valley Centre Drive, Ste 200
San Diego, CA 92130

P: (858) 320-1208
F: (858) 320-1010
E: rob.cavicchio@emc.com

The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions. Content published here is not read or approved in advance by EMC and does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EMC.