Subject: emphasis inside command is illegal?

Hi,
According to what I read here, <emphasis> can occur in <command>
http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/command.html

However, I get this error from onvdl.jar when validating the following xml file:
 error: element "emphasis" from namespace "http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; not allowed in this context

<chapter xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; version="5.0">
<para>
<cmdsynopsis sepchar=" ">
 <arg choice="plain">options</arg>
</cmdsynopsis>
</para>
</chapter>

I guess I'm missing something. My validation command:
java -Dorg.apache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration=org.apache.xerces.parsers.XIncludeParserConfiguration -jar DocBook/oNVDL/bin/onvdl.jar DocBook/V5.0/docbook.nvdl filename.xml

Anybody see what's wrong?
thanks,
--Tim Arnold