Subject: Re: [docbook] Localization

Hi Klaus,
Regarding the lang attribute name, if you want valid DocBook documents you would use the attribute named lang for DocBook version 4 documents, and xml:lang for DocBook version 5 documents.

Regarding the value of "de" versus "DE_DE", you may also see examples using "de-de", "de_DE", and other variants.  I'm not clear that there is a single standard that everyone is to adhere to, which has led to the "too much flexibility" problem you mention.

So the XSL stylesheets are written to handle all the variants.  The stylesheets take the value of either the lang or xml:lang attribute, convert it to lowercase, change any dash to underscore, and looks for a best match in the collection of languages supported by DocBook XSL.  The final match comes down to a locale name in the "common" directory of the XSL stylesheet distribution.  There you will find a file named 'de.xml' with a language="de" attribute.  Since DocBook XSL does not have support for country variants of German, there is a single German locale file.  So the minimum match for lang would be "de".  If you are using Chinese, you would need to use either "zh_cn" or "zh_tw".

The complete list of supported locales in a DocBook distribution is in common/l10n.xml (that's .xml, not .xsl), which looks like this:

<!ENTITY af SYSTEM "af.xml">
<!ENTITY am SYSTEM "am.xml">
<!ENTITY ar SYSTEM "ar.xml">
<!ENTITY az SYSTEM "az.xml">
<!ENTITY bg SYSTEM "bg.xml">
Strictly speaking, the stylesheet actually looks for a match on the value of the "language" attribute in those locale files, but the locale filenames match that attribute value in all cases, so you can use the list of filenames in that file as a reference.

Hope this helps.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 12:37 PM

Bob Stayton wrote:
Hi Klaus,
I think you have misunderstood that example.  That was a snippet from a DocBook XSL localization file, not something to insert in your file.  If you want to declare a document to be German, you would add a lang="DE_DE" attribute to the root element of your document (or xml:lang if using DocBook 5).  Then the stylesheet will process it with German generated text.  If I have misunderstood your intentions, let me know.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

----- Original Message ----- From: "Klaus Jantzen" <k.d.jantzen@t-online.de>