Subject: Re: [docbook] purpose of "label" attribute

Hi Rob,
As far as the DocBook XSL stylesheets go, the @label attribute is treated as a manual override for the generated *number* for a section, table, figure, etc.   It is just the number part, as in "1-1".

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 4:53 PM
Subject: [docbook] purpose of "label" attribute

The documentation states: "Specifies an identifying string for presentation purposes".

I find this description to be wanting. The section title is "an identifying string". I presume that the "label" attribute value is not intended to replace the title, but to be prepended, appended, or otherwise made to appear in a context that associates it with the section (something like "Section 1-1:"). But the wording is so vague that I can't be sure of that.

*************************
Rob Cavicchio
Principal Technical Writer & Information Architect
EMC Captiva

Information Intelligence Group
EMC Corporation
3721 Valley Centre Drive, Ste 200

San Diego, CA 92130

P: (858) 320-1208
F: (858) 320-1010
E: rob.cavicchio@emc.com

The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions. Content published here is not read or approved in advance by EMC and does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EMC.