Subject: v5 relaxng question

hi,
My documents are usually standalone chapters.
I get an error when I validate against the V5 relaxng that says
"Expecting  element set, got chapter, line 2"

From the spec, it appears that a standalone file has to start with a set, book, section, etc, but not a chapter:
http://www.docbook.org/xml/5.0/rng/docbookxi.rnc

Is that intentional?
I eventually put the chapters together as a book, but I like to validate the chapters sequentially.

thanks,
--Tim Arnold